Minimum and maximum loan periods vary between 1 months and 10 years. Comparison interest rates vary between 6.55% and 60% p.a. Total interest repayments vary between R685.05 and R844.12 over the life of the loan. *Comparison rate is based on an unsecured loan of R20,000 for a term of 3 years. WARNING: This comparison rate is true only for the examples given and may not include all fees and charges. Different terms, fees or other loan amounts might result in a different comparison rate. These rates can change without further notice. All rates quoted are per annum. For more information regarding fees click on "View fees & additional info +" for each product or contact the provider.
Find funeral and burial loans in South Africa
Saying farewell to your loved one is distressing enough without also having to worry about funeral expenses. If you need extra funds to cover certain costs during this period, a funeral loan can handle this burden for you.
How do funeral and burial loans work in South Africa?
Funeral loans are a type of unsecured personal loan that have the following features:
- No collateral. The loan requires no security and is thus easily accessible in your time of need.
- Monthly payments. You receive a lump sum and use it to cover the cost of the funeral. However, you repay the loan in monthly instalments.
- Loan terms. Monthly payments are made over a period ranging from 12 months up to 84 months.
- Loan amounts. If you meet the minimum income requirements, you can borrow any amount from R2000 up to R300 000. Thus, a funeral loan can provide enough funds to cover the entire cost of the service, burial, plus any related expenses.
- Interest rate. While you repay the loan, you also pay interest, which is the cost of borrowing. The loan can have a fixed rate or variable rate. It also comes with other fees and charges attached, mainly a once-off initiation fee and ongoing monthly service fees.
Advantages of funeral loans
- Quick access to funds when an untimely death occurs.
- Low interest rates for borrowers with a good credit score.
- Helps to protect your emergency fund, which you can save for another day.
- You can still get funds without providing collateral.
- Flexibility – can be used to cover various funeral expenses.
Disadvantages of funeral loans
- Might not be available for borrowers with bad credit.
- High interest rates if your credit is not good enough.
- The funeral will cost more compared to paying cash or using savings.
Which funeral expenses should you consider?
The total cost of a funeral service and burial depends on the type of services you’re paying for and what the funeral home is charging. Generally, funeral expenses include:
- Transportation of the deceased;
- Burial or cremation;
- Casket, coffin, or urn;
- Undertaker fees;
- Food and catering; and
- Flower arrangements.
Factors to consider when choosing a funeral and burial loan
When looking for affordable loan options that can pay for your loved one’s funeral, considering the following factors helps you to reach a quick and trusted decision:
The interest rate and APR of your loan are both crucial factors to consider when looking for low-cost options. However, the APR gives you a better function when comparing loans since it includes the interest rate and all loan fees and charges. The lower this number, the more you can save.
Our funeral loan calculator helps you to decide how much you’ll have to repay each month. To get the best result, enter your desired loan amount and term using the sliders. Click calculate and check for the results in the comparison tables just below the calculator. The estimated monthly payment will appear there for each featured lender.
Loan terms for funeral loans can stretch for years during which time interest adds up. A longer term means you can split the cost of the funeral into smaller monthly payments. However, if you plan to keep the total cost of the loan as low as possible, the best thing is to choose a shorter term with the largest monthly payments you can afford. You can even make early or additional payments, so find a lender that allows you to do this without charging penalty fees.
Find out if the lender has excellent customer service and how fast they respond to your application. Usually, online lenders provide a convenient and fast way to apply for a funeral loan which can be a huge relief if you urgently need to make funeral plans.
Who qualifies for a funeral loan in South Africa?
When making a funeral loan application, some lenders have specific requirements on top of the basic requirements. However, meeting the following requirements can help you qualify for a funeral loan:
- Minimum age of 18;
- A regular, monthly income;
- Most recent payslips and bank statements;
- Valid South African ID; and
- A clean credit history.
How to apply online for a funeral loan
You can apply for funeral financing through CompareLoans in a few simple steps:
- Compare lenders for funeral loans. Use the guidelines provided in this article plus the free tools (our funeral loan calculator and comparison tables) to pick a lender.
- Click Go to Site. Visit the lender’s website when you click this button.
- Make your application. Fill out the application form provided and upload the necessary documents from your computer or smartphone.
- Sign the loan agreement. Carefully consider the loan terms and conditions while paying extra attention to the repayment schedule.
Other options to consider when looking for a funeral and burial loan
- Joint applicant. If you’re worried you might not qualify for a funeral loan because of your credit score, ask someone close (with a better credit score) to make a joint application, or to act as co-signer.
- Bad credit personal loans. Some South African lenders offer personal loans for bad credit.
- Secured loan. A secured personal loan can help you get better rates and a larger loan amount.
- Credit cards. These provide limited amounts that can help cover smaller funeral expenses.
Popular personal loans searches
View all lenders