Last updated: March 24, 2020
Our approach to privacy
CompareLoans.co.za recognises the importance of protecting the privacy of personally identifiable information (herein referred to as “PI”) collected about our web users and CompareLoans.co.za members.
We are committed to the protection of personal identifiable information in a manner which is fair and unobtrusive. We meet the standards set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth) and the National Privacy Principles (“NPPs”) regarding the way in which we will collect, hold, use and disclose personal identifiable information and respond to your requests to access and / or correct it. This policy sets out how we handle your personal identifiable information and the rights and obligations that we both have in relation to that information.
By using our site, you consent to CompareLoans.co.za’s collection and use of your personal information.
Collecting your information
We collect personal identifiable information about people in several ways, including:
- If you sign up to the email news letter
- If you apply for a job with us
- If you leave a business card with one of our staff members
- If you write, phone, fax or email us and leave your details
- If you are already on one of our staff members’ or company contact lists
- If we are engaged in some formal form of work with you or your company
We may record your details if you are in contact with us, however, we will not use or disclose your details to anyone outside CompareLoans.co.za, without your consent. We do not sell or pass-on, any of our mailing or contact lists. We only use personal identifiable information we collect for the purpose of contacting you if we are engaged by you, or wish to provide you with information we think might interest you.
Collecting your information using this website
We generally only collect personal identifiable information from this website when it is provided voluntarily by you.
When you visit this website, or download information from it, our Internet Service Provider (ISP) makes a record of your visit and records some or all of the following information:
- Your Internet addresses
- Your domain name, if applicable
- The date and time of your visit to the website
Our ISP also collects information such as the pages our users access, the documents they download, links from other sites they follow to reach our site, or exit our site, and the type of browser they use. However, this information is anonymous and is only used for statistical and website development purposes. No attempt will be made to identify you or your browsing activity except, in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may produce a warrant to inspect our ISP’s logs.
Depending on the nature of the competition or offer, we will ask for your personal details such as your name, address, email address, age, telephone number / s and / or gender. Sometimes in relation to a particular competition we may also seek additional information.
Consequence of not providing personally identifiable information
In accordance with the National Privacy Policies, you may deal with us on an anonymous basis where practical. However, we may not be able to provide a complete service to you if personal identifiable information is not provided upon request. For example, providing incomplete information could render a competition entry invalid.
The type of information we may hold about you
We only hold information about you that is relevant to our relationship with you. Generally, the personal identifiable information we hold will include (where relevant) your name, contact details, and records of correspondence.
If our relationship with you is not solely one of website user or CompareLoans.co.za member, we may collect other information that we consider necessary in the circumstances, such as the nature of the products or services that you supply, quotes that you provide, your credit details and payment details, type of business and billing statements.
Sensitive information includes information about your race or ethnic origins, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, or details of health, disability or sexual activity or orientation. We rarely ask for sensitive information, but may do so occasionally as part of competition, promotion or survey, for example. We will not ask for sensitive information unless:
- you have consented;
- the collection of the information is specifically authorised by law;
- the collection is necessary to lessen a serious or imminent threat to the health or safety of any person; or
- the collection of the information is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim.
How we use and disclose your information
We use your information to provide and market our services to you, and to enhance and develop our relationship with you.
CompareLoans.co.za may disclose your information to service providers, agents, contractors and strategic partners from time to time to help us to provide and market our services to you. If we do this, we generally require these parties to protect your information in the same way we do.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- Conform to the law or comply with legal process served on CompareLoans.co.za
- Protect and defend the rights or property of CompareLoans.co.za
Who do we disclose personal information to?
- credit providers (such as by pre-populating the lender’s application form with the information you give us):
- our external service providers (some of which may be located overseas in the USA and Europe) for the purposes of our business, for example IT service providers. Information is only disclosed in accordance with Australian Privacy Principles. We take reasonable steps to ensure that overseas service providers whose servers may be used to store data comply with APPs;
- product and services providers for operational purposes, and also because from time to time they may choose to provide you with information about their products and services by ordinary post or email. You may opt-out of receipt of such marketing at any time by contacting directly those organisations which have obtained your information. If you do not have their details, you can request them from us on the details below;
- any organisation which you request us to, including a financial adviser, broker, solicitor, or accountant;
- our related companies and other organisations;
- if we consider it necessary to do so in order to enforce or apply the terms of any of our agreements with you;
- contractors providing licensed collections services, credit card payment processing and CRM services, who comply with our privacy and security policies;
- if we sell our business or part of it to a third party;
- in extreme circumstances to protect the personal safety of our customers, website users, staff or the public; and
- law enforcement, regulatory and government bodies, government agencies and courts, if we are required to by law to do so.
- To analyse our website visitors and their usage to enhance our Services
- Communicating with you via email where you have elected to receive newsletters, special offers, competitions and survey requests from CompareLoans.co.za
- Communicating with you via phone where you have elected to have CompareLoans.co.za contact you in this manner
- To facilitate third party’s contacting you where you have provided your consent as part of the Service
- Collecting and displaying customer reviews information, individually and in aggregate, you have provided as part of the Service
- To deliver relevant advertisements to you and provide information about us, our Services and special offers
- To provide information to 3rd party service providers so they can deliver relevant advertisements to you
- To carry out the administrative and operational functions of the CompareLoans.co.za business
- To carry out research services provided to CompareLoans.co.za customers
- To respond to inquiries
- To undertake internal accounting and administration
A cookie is a small message given to your web browser by our web server. The browser stores the message in a text file, and the message is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.
When cookies are used on this site, they are used to store information relating to your visit such as a unique identifier, or a value to indicate whether you have seen a web page. They are used to distinguish your Internet browser from the thousands of other browsers. This site will not store personal information such as email addresses or other details in a cookie.
Most Internet browsers are set up to accept cookies. If you do not wish to receive cookies, you may be able to change the settings of your browser to refuse all cookies or to notify you each time a cookie is sent to your computer, giving you the choice whether to accept it or not.
Automatically Collected Information
When you visit the Site, use the Services, or open an email from CompareLoans.co.za, we may automatically receive and record certain information from your computer, web browser and / or mobile device, including your IP address or other device address or ID, web browser and / or device type, hardware and software settings and configurations, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after visiting the Site, the pages you view on the Site, your actions on the Site, and the dates and times that you visit, access, or use the Services. When you use the Site on a mobile device, we may also collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or wireless local area network signals.
Third-Party Web Beacons and Third-Party Buttons
We may implement third party advertising or other content on the Site that may use clear gifs or other forms of web beacons, which allow the third-party content provider to read and write Cookies to your web browser in connection with your viewing of the third-party content on the Site. Additionally, we may implement third party buttons (such as Facebook “like” or “share” buttons) that may allow a third party to collect information about you through their browser Cookies, even when you do not interact with the button. Information collected through web beacons and buttons is collected directly by third parties, and CompareLoans.co.za does not participate in that data transmission. Information collected by a third party in this manner is subject to that third party’s own data collection, use, and disclosure policies.
CompareLoans.co.za takes your online security seriously. It’s our way of sustaining your trust in CompareLoans.co.za and our products and services. This means we will take all reasonable measures to ensure your information is secure and have implemented technology for this purpose.
We use a variety of physical and electronic security measures, including restricting physical access to our offices, and firewalls and secure databases to keep personal information secure from misuse, loss or unauthorised use or disclosure.
However, the Internet is not a secure environment. If you use the Internet to send us any information, including your email address, it is sent at your own risk.
You have a right to access most personal identifiable information we hold about you. Please contact us to ask for access to your information, or if you have a complaint concerning your information privacy. We may deny your request in some circumstances. If we do this, we will tell you why.
If you think that any information we hold about you is inaccurate, please contact us and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is corrected.
Other things you should know about privacy on the Internet
Remember to close your browser when you have finished your user session. This is to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet cafe. You as an individual are responsible for the security of and access to your own computer.
Whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information over the Internet that this information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information in publicly accessible online forums, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return. Ultimately, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your username and passwords and any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are using the Internet.
How this policy is updated
Please contact our Privacy Officer using the details provided below if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which we have collected or handled your personal information. We will investigate your complaint and respond to you in writing within 30 days
If you would like more information concerning how we handle your information, or our approach to privacy, please contact us email@example.com.
Please note that if the responding officer determines with good reason that your message is spam within the meaning of the Spam Act 2003 (Cth), CompareLoans.co.za reserves the right not to respond to any message you send and to block your use of this website from the IP address where the spam originates and reserves the right to claim compensation under the appropriate legislation.
PO Box A897
Sydney South, NSW 1235