Minimum and maximum loan periods vary between 1 months and 10 years. Comparison interest rates vary between 6.55% and 60% p.a. Total interest repayments vary between R685.05 and R844.12 over the life of the loan. *Comparison rate is based on an unsecured loan of R20,000 for a term of 3 years. WARNING: This comparison rate is true only for the examples given and may not include all fees and charges. Different terms, fees or other loan amounts might result in a different comparison rate. These rates can change without further notice. All rates quoted are per annum. For more information regarding fees click on "View fees & additional info +" for each product or contact the provider.
About Standard Bank vehicle finance in South Africa
These days buying a car is common, but there is still something exciting about buying the set of wheels you want. Standard Bank is a registered credit provider, operating under the terms of the National Credit Act. They offer two main vehicle finance options, and you can freely choose the option that suits your needs as long as you qualify. Find out what these options are as well as what the application process looks like.
The Standard Bank car loan: Instalment lease vs. Financial lease
The bank is a licensed financial services provider that offers two types of vehicle financing options: Instalment lease and financial lease. With the Instalment sale, you can buy your car using a loan from Standard Bank, and then pay back the amount over an agreed period. You will get full ownership of the car as soon as you make the final payment.
On the other hand, The Standard Bank Financial Lease allows you to rent the car while making payments over the agreed term. After you have completed the payments, you can choose whether you want to own the asset or return it.
These two car finance options are explained in more detail below.
The Standard Bank instalment sale
Standard Bank Instalment Sale option offers a repayment period that is between 12-72 months. It features interest rates that are linked to the Standard Bank prime rate. You can also make use of the balloon payment option by making a lump sum payment at the end of your contract.
Advantages of Standard Bank instalment sale
- The deposit amount is negotiable;
- You can make use of the balloon payment option for a lower monthly instalment;
- Flexible payment arrangements;
- You can choose a fixed or linked variable rate;
- If you use the vehicle for business purposes the depreciation in value can be claimed on your taxable income; and
- Personalised and competitive interest rates.
What else do you need to know about the Standard Bank instalment sale?
- Minimum loan amount is R20 000;
- The ride belongs to Standard Bank until you finish making the payment;
- You must buy comprehensive insurance for the car while the loan contract is active.
The Standard Bank Financial Lease
With the financial lease, you can take out a loan for up to 84 months. Standard Bank accepts balloon payment for this option as well.
Advantages of Standard Bank Financial Lease
- When you renew your lease, your annual rental costs are reduced by 10%;
- You can choose to claim ownership of the ride at the end of the loan agreement;
- Flexible payment arrangements;
- If you wish to buy the automobile at the end of the contract, you can get it for a lower price: and
- It is possible to claim VAT and other payments on your taxable income;
Additional information on the Standard Bank financial lease
The bank owns the asset. After you finish payment, you can return it, take ownership, or renew the lease on an annual basis. While the car loan agreement is active, it is your responsibility to make sure that the car is fully insured from damage or loss.
Are there any similarities between a financial lease and instalment sale?
There are several similarities between the financial lease and instalment lease option offered by Standard Bank. Firstly, for both, you have to earn a minimum monthly income of 5 000. Secondly, the minimum loan amount is R20 000. Lastly, the interest rate you get is either fixed or variable and is personalised based on your credit history and personal risk profile.
What are the requirements for a Standard Bank vehicle finance loan?
The following requirements apply for both the financial lease and instalment sale;
- Be a holder of a valid SA ID book or card;
- Have a valid SA driver’s license;
- Provide your most recent payslip and bank statements for the latest 3 months;
- Show proof of residence that is not older than 3 months; and
- Be over the age of 18 years.
Please note that your loan approval will depend on the information obtained from credit checks performed by Standard Bank.
How to calculate your repayments before applying for a Standard Bank car loan
Before you apply, you should also use the tool on this page to estimate how your monthly repayments affect your budget. Simply input your loan amount and loan term before clicking “Calculate Repayment.” You can keep readjusting the figures until you get a monthly repayment that fits well.
How to apply for Standard Bank vehicle finance online?
To start your car loan application process, you can visit Standard Bank offices near you or make a phone call. However, the online loan application is the fastest. You can begin this process while at home and from this very page. Simply click the “Go to Site” button for Standard Bank car financing. The link will direct you to their loan application page, where you can follow the guidelines provided. The application is quite straight forward: Upload the required documents, fill an online form, submit, and wait for the bank’s response.
Is it important to have vehicle insurance?
Taking out car loan insurance is part of the requirements when applying for car finance. The insurance will cover your payments in the event of your death, retrenchment, disability, or sickness. Car loan insurance will, therefore, protect your loved ones from having to settle your debt if it so happens that you are unable to do so.
Are there any other vehicle financing options from Standard Bank?
You can also choose a Standard Bank Full Maintenance lease if you run a business. The option allows you to rent, so you don’t have to worry about ownership or maintenance responsibilities. In turn, you pay a fixed monthly rental until your contract period is over.
How does a Standard Bank Full Maintenance lease work?
This option is a comprehensive financial and maintenance package that allows you to outsource your cars’ maintenance and administration to Standard Bank Fleet Management. It enables you to acquire an auto at a fixed monthly cost with less hassle. It also has the following features:
- Your fixed monthly payment covers rental and maintenance (service and repair costs);
- The monthly payment is for the time you use the asset as well as the distance in km it travels;
- You can choose a simpler option that has no maintenance management;
- There are flexible lease terms that can be changed;
- You can claim back VAT on certain vehicles and contracts; and
- Standard Bank will be the titleholder of the ride while you’ll be registered as the owner.
What are Standard Bank vehicle and asset finance?
Standard Bank vehicle asset finance is an option that includes buying or leasing commercial vehicles and capital equipment. It also allows you to pay for the delivery of international goods ahead of time. To expand on this, with Standard Bank vehicle and asset finance you can:
- Get a financing solution that allows you to buy a commercial transport such as a delivery van or a flat-bed truck;
- Buy or lease any equipment that you need to kick-start your business; and
- Make payments for local or imported goods and then start repaying the loan when you collect your order.
About Standard Bank vehicle online loans
Popular vehicle finance searches