Minimum and maximum loan periods vary between 1 months and 10 years. Comparison interest rates vary between 6.55% and 60% p.a. Total interest repayments vary between R685.05 and R844.12 over the life of the loan. *Comparison rate is based on an unsecured loan of R20,000 for a term of 3 years. WARNING: This comparison rate is true only for the examples given and may not include all fees and charges. Different terms, fees or other loan amounts might result in a different comparison rate. These rates can change without further notice. All rates quoted are per annum. For more information regarding fees click on "View fees & additional info +" for each product or contact the provider.
A detailed look at Sanlam personal loans in South Africa
A Sanlam personal loan is exactly as the name says – it exists to meet your personal needs. You can use it to consolidate your debt, improve your home, fund a trip, or, however you need to use it. Besides providing sizable loan amounts, Sanlam also offers fixed-rate personal loans with flexible payment terms.
You can get a Sanlam loan of up to R200 000 depending on your income. One of the essential things when borrowing money is making sure you do not borrow more than you can afford. As a responsible lender, Sanlam will perform a credit check and evaluate your finances to make sure you get a customised personal loan that suits your budget. Read on to find out how else a Sanlam personal loan can benefit you.
How do Sanlam personal loans work?
- You can apply for the loans online, in the comfort of your home.
- Sanlam offers personal loan amounts that start from R5 000 and increase by R1000 up to R200 000.
- The lender provides highly flexible payment terms. You can choose to pay back your Sanlam loan over a period of 1 to 6 years.
- Your loan repayments are fixed, so you will be paying monthly instalments of the same amount until your loan is fully paid up.
- Sanlam performs a thorough check of your finances and will use your current financial situation to determine the right amount you can borrow.
- If you are a qualifying Sanlam Reality member, it is possible to get a fifth of your repayments back if you manage to make all your monthly repayments on time for a year.
What are the fees associated with Sanlam personal loans?
There are some fees associated with Sanlam personal loans. These include the following:
- Initiation fee: This fee is capped at R1207.50. Sanlam uses your credit profile to analyse the risk associated with giving you a loan, which determines how much you pay.
- Interest: This rate is determined by your credit profile. If Sanlam considers you a high-risk borrower, you will be more likely to get a higher interest rate on your loan. The interest rate typically ranges from 8.55% and 24.50% per year.
- Monthly service fee: You will also pay a fixed monthly service fee of R69.
The Sanlam personal loan calculator can help you choose an affordable loan
To increase your chances of approval, use the Sanlam personal loan repayment calculator to find out the best monthly repayment for your budget. Simply enter the loan amount and term of your choice and the calculator will do the rest. It’s fast and easy!
When to take out a Sanlam loan
Sanlam loans can be used for a lot of purposes:
Most people take out these loans to cover home improvement expenses. You might want to buy new appliances, fix old ones, or renovate part of your house. These loans can be a great way to get the money you need for such expenses.
Some people also take out loans to cover education costs. These include fees, accommodation, and other related expenses.
A few others also use the loans to consolidate debt. This is quite useful since it allows you to better manage your debts by combining all the monthly payments into one. It makes your planning and budget easier since you know the amount that you have to pay back will not change from month to month.
Sanlam loan requirements
- You have to be a resident of South Africa, living and working in the country.
- Sanlam does not have an income requirement. Each customer’s finances and income level are taken into account before a loan is approved.
- Sanlam will perform a credit check to determine how much they should offer you.
What documents are required for the application?
- A copy of your government-issued South African ID;
- Proof of income – you can use three latest monthly payslips or bank statements;
- Your banking details; and
- Sanlam might require a report showing your assets, liabilities, expenses. This helps them determine if you are fit for a loan and how much you can afford to borrow.
How to apply for a Sanlam personal loan
Besides offering some of the best services and terms on the market, Sanlam also tries their best to keep up with modern technology. This makes the personal loan application process quite convenient and fast. You can apply for a Sanlam personal loan online in the comfort of your home without visiting a branch or joining a queue.
All you have to do is scroll up to the top of the page and click on the Sanlam “Go to Site” link. You’ll be redirected to their loan application page, where you will find an easy-to-complete online application form. After submission, all that’s left is to wait for your response.
How to get the best out of Sanlam personal loans
Sanlam is one of the few lenders that will reward you for being loyal when it comes to your loan repayments. It is possible to get some of your monthly instalments paid back to you if you join their Sanlam Reality program
What is Sanlam Reality?
This is a loyalty program that you can join and get several discounts and rewards from. If you enter the program and take out a Sanlam personal loan, you can get up to 20% of your monthly instalments back after a year of making repayments on time. This inspires a lot of loyalty since you know that you’re being rewarded for your responsible behaviour.
Sanlam personal loan protection plan
Loan insurance will cover your loan payments if the unexpected happens. This is quite useful as it also protects your family members and your assets.
Sometimes, unforeseen events happen in life. For example, you might find yourself so sick that you can’t work anymore. You can also get into an accident, get retrenched, or die before you finish your repayments. In such cases, a Sanlam protection plan will come to your aid.
Sanlam loans for the blacklisted
Sanlam performs credit checks before they can offer you a loan. If you are blacklisted, you will not get turned away immediately. Sanlam will look at other factors to determine how much money they can offer you. Loans for blacklisted usually have high-interest rates and higher initiation fees due to their high-risk nature.
If you are having financial troubles, you can use Sanlam personal loans to consolidate your debts and manage your repayments. If you pay your monthly instalments on time, your credit score will improve, and you can qualify for better loan terms.
Advantages of Sanlam loans
- A fixed-rate of interest – Once Sanlam determines your interest rate, it remains the same throughout your loan. This also ensures that your monthly repayments are fixed, making it easier to make financial plans.
- The loans are unsecured – Sanlam loans don’t require you to put up your assets as security or collateral for your personal loan. That means that you won’t lose your property if you fail to make a payment.
- Credit life insurance – Sanlam offers a personal loan protection plan that ensures your loan gets paid in full if you die, become disabled, or are retrenched.
- Cash-back – If you join Sanlam Reality, you can get up to 20% of your loan repayments back once you have made 12 repayments non-stop.
- You can apply for the loans online – You do not need to leave your house since the application can be made online, at any time.
- Sanlam loans are safe – DirectAxis manages Sanlam personal loans, and they’re a reputable, authorised, and registered credit provider in South Africa.
Popular personal loans searches
View all lenders