Ultimate list of side hustle ideas & gig economy sites to make extra money
How to make some extra cash in South Africa?
We all could do with an extra grand in our pockets or purses… But how do we get it there? A bunch of entrepreneurs have created apps, that can help you do just that. These sharing and gig economy apps can help you make some extra cash online or in the real world.
Some of the apps are native to South Africa and others are global.
What is the gig economy?
The gig economy otherwise known as the sharing economy consists of online platforms and apps that connect buyers with sellers and people who need services, with those who can provide it. These transactions are also known as peer-to-peer or P2P.
If you find work on one of these apps, you’re not necessarily an employee of that company or app… Their platform simply acts as a middleman between you and people who need your goods and services.
We’ve compiled a huge list of all the various gig economy apps available to South Africans (see list below). If you notice something missing… Hit us up on
Twitter or Facebook. Money making ideas for kids and teens
We’ll start with some quick money-making ideas for the kids first. Coca-cola, video games, clothes… All that stuff costs money. So you can appreciate what your parents have to do, to give you all of that good stuff, it’s time to do a weekend or after school side hustle.
Wash the car. Whether it’s your parents’ car, your neighbours or your friends… It’s a job we hate but need to do.
Start a design business. All you kids are whizzes on computers these days, and if you have some artistic skills… sites like Fiverr can provide some great experience and some extra pocket money.
Babysitting. Parents need some time off, so give it to them. But make it at a price 😉
Help the elderly. Reading the mail, moving stuff around, cleaning… That stuff becomes difficult as you get older. Visit a few retirement homes around your neighbourhood and let ’em know your services are on offer. Some folks just need someone to listen to their stories. Get your listening skills on and build up some empathy, because that stuff is priceless.
Letterbox runs. Those flyers don’t deliver themselves.
Cleaning and recycling. After a hard day’s work, what do business owners hate? It’s cleaning the floors, throwing out the garbage, dusting the shelves, etc. Help them out and make a few bob. Driver Apps
– A clever way to get around when public transport or regular taxi services are not an option. Available on both iOS and Android. Bolt (ex Taxify)
– The most popular ride-sharing app in the world, with the widest network of users and drivers. Uber
– A ridesharing app that focuses on price and safety, offering 3 payment methods, a panic button and face recognition. Yookoo Ride
– The app promises low commissions on their side, direct payments from passengers and highly profitable rides. inDriver
– Taxi Live Africa is a South African e-hailing and metered taxi service available for the pan-African market. Taxi Live Africa
– Chaufher is a ride-sharing service specifically designed by women, for women. Only women are invited to become drivers or riders. Chaufher Food Delivery Apps
– With 5000+ restaurants to choose from, the service is offered in over 2500 suburbs in South Africa. Mr D Food
– With Uber Eats, you can deliver food from restaurants in your area to hungry customers with your car, motorbike, scooter or bicycle. Uber Eats
– Orderin delivers your favourite food quickly to your door. The app offers in-app driver tracking so you know when to expect your food. Orderin Freelance Apps
– Affordable English to Zulu translators, voice actors, South African virtual assistants, writers and hundreds more freelance South African services online. Fiverr
– A great talent pool to complete your job, ranging from veterans with many years of experience to fresh talent at a lower price tag. NoSweat
– Part of a global talent network, this platform offers a wide range of professionals and freelancers at various price tags to fulfil most needs. UpWork
– Find remote freelancers, contractors and consultants to complete your work online. People Per Hour
– The freelance section of one of the most popular recruiting sites in South Africa. JobVine Freelance Community Marketplace Apps
– A marketplace that connects users, needing odd jobs and errands done, to skilled taskers. TaskRabbit
– South Africa’s marketplace for outsourcing house or business-related work. Doit4u
– Work from the comfort of your home and choose from thousands of microtasks. MicroWorkers
– Pan African outsourcing marketplace. SkillPatron focuses on bridging the gap between young talents and businesses. SkillPatron Mystery Shopping Apps
– An application that connects job seekers and mystery shopping job opportunities all over South Africa. Available on iOS and Android. Secret Agent
– Clandestine is a platform helping businesses get in-depth customer insights by hiring mystery shoppers. Clandestine
– The platform allows you to earn money by taking part in customer surveys, testing new or existing products and through mystery shopping. Opinion Hero Home Sharing Apps
– The original copy. If you have a spare room, a granny flat or an entire home, you can rent it out to guests from all over the world thanks to Airbnb. Airbnb
– The first LGBTQ or gay-friendly accommodation finding app. Great to find gay-friendly hosts, travel tips and more. MisterBandB
– Whether you are a tourist or a travelling student, Homestay will have the right option for you. Benefit from long term rental discount rates with certain hosts. Homestay
– Stay with locals, find a bed & breakfast accommodation and beat the hotel rates, these are the BedyCasa promises. BedyCasa
– With Homestayin, you can browse thousands of accommodations and find the perfect host whether you are a traveler or an international student. HomeStayin
Need to buy a car? Consider comparing
vehicle finance options. Teaching & Tutoring Apps
– An effective tutoring service with carefully selected tutors who travel to their students’ place and fit in their busy schedules. Teach me 2
– An edu-tech company that wants to be more than the “Uber” of tutoring by enabling access to high-quality tutors to boost academic performance. Tuta-me
– Choose from 150+ subjects and get access to online or face to face tutoring with TurtleJar. TurtleJar
– SmartTutor offers courses in Mathematics for students wishing to matriculate. Their website mentions they will soon offer chemistry and physical sciences courses. Smarttutor Home Maintenance Apps
– HomeFixer offers tradesman services to anyone who needs to fix something in their homes. The app is available on iOS and Android. HomeFixer
– The app connects homeowners and handymen, through a secure platform offering in-app billing and pre-screening. getTOD
– Homify is South Africa’s online platform for architecture, interior design, building and decoration. Homify Online Selling Apps
– OLX is a popular South African platform to buy and sell everything from cars to furniture. It also has a job section. OLX
– Gumtree is the leading online classifieds platform in South Africa with thousands of ads, from used cars to electronics and real estate. Gumtree
– Yaga allows you to sell your brand new, used or forgotten belongings online in a safe and efficient way. Yaga
– A recent auction-based e-commerce website offering products ranging from furniture & electronics to fashion and more. Bid or Buy
– eBay is the world’s online marketplace. Buy or sell cars, electronic equipment, rare collectibles and much more. eBay Specialty Services Apps
– South Africa’s first application that connects beauty entrepreneurs to customers and beauty salons. Prim-U
– Minderz puts pet owners and pet service providers together. From walkers to beauticians and many more. Minderz
– Bought a piece of furniture that doesn’t fit in your trunk? No worries, Droppa will pick it up and deliver it to your doorstep! Droppa
– Sweep South is a marketplace that connects local professionals for cleaning, gardening, heavy lifting, and caregiving with people who need those services. Sweep South
– Get your groceries delivered within an hour with this on-demand delivery platform. Zulzi
– TaskApp is the first multi-service, on-demand application in South Africa. From food delivery to house cleaning or home improvement work, TaskApp will sort you out. TaskApp
If you need some cash to get your micro business or gig economy idea off the ground, consider
comparing these personal loan providers.
Main photo by
Lechon Kirb from StockSnap
Why was my loan application rejected?
Read more What is loan refinancing and why you should care
What is financial responsibility and how to achieve it