Minimum and maximum loan periods vary between 1 months and 10 years. Comparison interest rates vary between 6.55% and 60% p.a. Total interest repayments vary between R685.05 and R844.12 over the life of the loan. *Comparison rate is based on an unsecured loan of R20,000 for a term of 3 years. WARNING: This comparison rate is true only for the examples given and may not include all fees and charges. Different terms, fees or other loan amounts might result in a different comparison rate. These rates can change without further notice. All rates quoted are per annum. For more information regarding fees click on "View fees & additional info +" for each product or contact the provider.
What type of loan are you looking for?
Find equipment finance and affordable loans in South Africa
How does equipment finance work in South Africa?
Equipment loans offered by South African lenders usually have the following features:
- You can purchase a wide variety of equipment. As a business owner, equipment finance can help you purchase all sorts of equipment from forklifts, commercial ovens, medical and IT machinery, to equipment for offices, industrial processes, and transportation.
- Flexible loan terms. Loan terms typically go up to 72 months or more which means you get to use your equipment without paying the full price. Instead, you repay the lender by making monthly payments which helps to maintain cash flow.
- Favourable interest rates. Equipment loan interest rates can be competitive if you meet important requirements, such as having an excellent credit rating.
3 best financing options for business equipment
- Secured personal loan. You can use the purchased equipment from the start, but the asset is used to secure the loan. A deposit may also be required. However, if you don’t make the monthly payments as agreed, you risk losing the equipment to the lender. Loan amounts typically go up to R300 000 while loan terms are between 12 months and 72 months.
- Unsecured personal loan. It works much like a secured personal loan, but no collateral is required. As a result, you’re likely to meet with slightly higher interest rates, and it may be difficult to qualify for an equipment loan if you have a bad credit score.
- Business credit cards. These can help your business to build a credit profile. They’re also available for small business owners and can help your business save money if you get a credit card with a promotional or low interest rate.
Advantages of equipment finance
- Offers small business loans that can be used as working capital to leverage the growth of your business.
- Offers affordable monthly payments that won’t disturb cash flow. This can be particularly helpful to small business owners.
- Tax benefits that allow you to deduct interest payments and any value depreciation of the asset.
- Equipment loan interest rates are also competitive, and longer loan terms are available if the loan is secured. This type of loan is also easier to get.
Disadvantages of equipment finance
- May require a deposit of up to 20%, which can be a large amount if you’re purchasing expensive equipment.
- For secured personal loans, failure to stick to the repayment agreement means the lender can seize your equipment, and this can be bad for business.
Important features to use when comparing equipment loans in South Africa
- Interest rate. When comparing equipment loans, look for the lowest rate available. This could be a fixed rate which guarantees unchanging monthly payments or a variable rate which can reduce your loan’s total cost if market conditions become favourable.
- Loan fees and charges. Aside from interest, loan fees and charges also increase the total cost of your loan. Use the APR, which includes all fees and the interest rate to get the bigger picture of how much your loan will cost, overall.
- Monthly repayments. Ideally, you want a monthly payment that fits in with your cash flow. The equipment loans calculator from CompareLoans is a great tool that helps you to compare different loans based on how much you have to pay every month. Simply, input the loan amount and the number of months you want for your loan term. Once, you click “Calculate Repayment,” you can easily view the results in the comparison tables above.
- Flexible loan terms and conditions. You should be able to opt for a loan term, amount and repayment plan that suits your budget and financial situation. Flexible loan terms will enable you to make early and additional repayments without you having to also pay a penalty fee.
- Unique benefits. This includes any tax, repayment, or discount benefits that allow you to keep the total cost of your loan low while you pay it off in affordable instalments.
Frequently asked questions about business equipment financing in South Africa
How do I apply for an online equipment loan?
Since you have already checked the available South African online lenders in our comparison tables above, you can make a fast application by clicking “Go to Site” for your selected lender. Make sure you have all personal identification and proof of income documents on hand.
Are there other ways to finance my equipment purchase?
You can also use business vehicle finance which offers the following options:
- Instalment sales agreement. Ownership of the equipment is yours from the start, but the lender can still seize the equipment if they don’t receive the required monthly payments.
- Equipment lease. The lender buys the equipment, and you rent it from them by making monthly payments. You have the option to buy the equipment at the end of the loan agreement. Otherwise, you can return the equipment or renew the lease.
- Hire purchase. The lender buys the equipment and owns it. However, you get to use it while paying monthly instalments. Ownership of the equipment is only transferred to you after you have repaid the loan in full.
Can I apply for an equipment loan if I have bad credit?
Yes. However, bad credit loans for equipment purchases often have high interest rates. If you’re unable to qualify for a traditional equipment loan, check out these available loans for bad credit in South Africa.
Popular personal loans searches
View all lenders